Coffee Roasting     10K drum gap issue

2024-02-06 06:52

10K drum gap issue

Hello fellow roasters, wanted to see if anyone had any experience with an issue we're having regularly on our 10K machine.

PROBLEM: Drum gap has to be adjusted 1-3 times over the course of a roast, otherwise beans get dropped through the gap (too wide) OR get jammed in the gap (too small), causing the drum to stall out. Audible grinding sound as the gap closes over time+heat, at which point we have to adjust the gap to continue roasting.

BATCH SIZE: We typically roast only full 10kg batches on this machine. In the past we've done 5kg batches but our current approach to eliminating variables on each machine (as well as the ongoing demand for fulfillment) has us roasting full batches.

SETTINGS: Our base settings for airflow (17/20/23 Hz), gas (2,200 Pa start, down to 1,200 Pa most roasts) and drum (57 Hz) are more or less identical to our initial seasoning/setup roasts with Mill City from 16 months ago. We typically warm up the machine at 1,200 Pa to 440 ET (allow about 30-45 minutes) and then allow 5-10 minutes at 2,200-2,400 (our drum gap is set at this point) before charging the drum.

COFFEES: We have about 16 different coffees we roast regularly, different screen sizes, with the smaller ones from Ethiopia or our decaf coffees creating the most havoc. However, all coffees exhibit the same issue with regard to the drum gap.

OBSERVATIONS: Monitoring IT seems to be one variable involved in this, obviously the drum is expanding with heat gain after the initial charge (IT can vary from 500F-750F over the roast curve). We have played around with gas pressure and airflow. If we start with our high air setting and leave all other settings the same, we can roast a full batch without adjustment (however there are obvious implications for having no airflow adjustments during a batch). The airflow is allowing the heat to remain more consistent on the drum/IT during roast. Alternatively, we have tried shifting our air L/M/H standards upward; however the higher settings can allow a few beans to get sucked out during the roast as well, so this isn't a complete solution.

We have maintained the grease on the front and rear drum bearings, so that is unlikely to be a culprit. The drum itself does appear to have a small amount of visible imperfection (undulation) during rotation, which causes uneven rubbing/grinding sounds when the gap closes too much (it has a rhythmic/pulsing effect to the contact with the front wall). We addressed this on a video call with Aziz about 9 months ago and he assured us it wasn't a concern or was at least within margin of error as far as the actual drum is concerned.

One thought we had was that the machine, being currently level, could benefit from adjusting the feet to tilt slightly back. The logic here is that perhaps the drum is causing too much of the bean mass to be forced forward, leaving too much unbalanced weight at the front. However, that still leads me to think there is some other issue since un-levelling a machine is probably not a long term solution.

Any thoughts would help, going to troubleshoot this a bit longer then probably setup another call to support.

Link

Comments

Views
2024-02-07 12:04

Hi ,

I'm owner of MCR-10 since Dec 2023

allow me to share my experience on few of your points

for your issue on the gap try to let your roaster on 220 C for around 20 min to 30 min and try to reduce the drum rotation I usually use 57 HZ so I set it to 45 HZ and "keep the gap as large as possible "after that try to reduce the gap slowly till you hear the grinding sound then you turn to clockwise very slowly to let the grinding sound disappear.

in this way, only the chaff will be on the burner chamber.

on batch size, I feel that the sweet spot is 8 KG, not 10 KG

Link

I'm on the MCR-20 with similar warm up protocol and origin variety. I've also had this issue not long ago where it got pretty bad - every now and again beans would load up in the gap and then it'd be a delicate game of trying to close the gap while trying to let the drum cycle the beans down the waste chute without stalling.

These days, it's been better with me only having to make minimal adjustments until the beans hit yellow and then it's stable from there. When charging, I only open the hopper gate about halfway or so to slow down the amount of beans. I think this gives the bean mass enough time to spread out evenly throughout the drum and also reduces amount of heat loss from the front of the drum.

Link

We spoke with support, initial recommendation is to increase charge temp.

We bumped up to 460F and ran a batch of Honduras (pretty easy bean to roast, large screen size). No issues, no gap adjustment.

Next we'll try a smaller screen Ethiopia Guji and see if it handles well.

Overall only very minor adjustments to our profile were required. These large batches don't seem to mind the 35F increase in charge at the same gas and air.

Link

@theroastery said:

We have maintained the grease on the front and rear drum bearings, so that is unlikely to be a culprit. The drum itself does appear to have a small amount of visible imperfection (undulation) during rotation, which causes uneven rubbing/grinding sounds when the gap closes too much (it has a rhythmic/pulsing effect to the contact with the front wall). We addressed this on a video call with Aziz about 9 months ago and he assured us it wasn't a concern or was at least within margin of error as far as the actual drum is concerned.

Any thoughts would help, going to troubleshoot this a bit longer then probably setup another call to support.

Has this been a constant issue or was it something that developed over time? I had a similar issue on my 3k that I fought for months and it ended up being the bolt that is inside the front drum bearing had worked itself loose and eventually fell off. Beans went everywhere. Might wanna check that and make sure it’s torqued. I think it was a combination of the heat cycles and vibrations.

Link

@bassmasteraj said:

Has this been a constant issue or was it something that developed over time? I had a similar issue on my 3k that I fought for months and it ended up being the bolt that is inside the front drum bearing had worked itself loose and eventually fell off. Beans went everywhere. Might wanna check that and make sure it’s torqued. I think it was a combination of the heat cycles and vibrations.

Thanks for the input! It was an issue on our 10K pretty much from the beginning. The bolts seem secure across the front so I don't *think* that is the issue in our instance.

Link

UPDATE

For the past couple months we've had all sorts of different coffees and roasts on the 10K machine, and although the issues seem to be partially resolved by increasing the drop temp as recommended by the support crew at Mill City (see previous post of Feb 9), there are still issues with the gap allowing smaller screen sizes (Ethiopia Guji, Sidamo...also decaf coffees) to fall into the gap. In many instances, we can adjust the gap one or two times on a roast and that's it. Other cases, the gap fills with beans and throttles down to a halt, requiring us to dump the batch. As previously observed, larger screens have no issues, since they aren't subject to falling through the gap even at it's wider settings.

When we get a slow week I'm going to take a look at possibly removing the front of the drum, although I haven't quite figured out the best way to do that yet. My suspicion is that something else must be going on inside there. The biggest question mark for me at this point, is that when we do experience drum gap closure during a roast, the resulting sound is cyclical (1 per rotation) which means the drum isn't even/flush to begin with. My guess is that the drum gap issue allows beans to fall through the "weak spot" (uneven spot) in the drum rotation.

Of course, if that is the case, I don't really know what the fix will be at that point, but at least it will help me narrow it down.

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More