RoastPATH® Help     Any Suggestions for getting my RoR line higher?

2023-03-22 00:04

Any Suggestions for getting my RoR line higher?

Any suggestions on how to get my RoR line higher? I adjusted my charge temp and gas settings but that didn't change much. Roasts are turning out great but I want to start watching this closer and managing the end of my roasts.

Charge size: 5.4 lbs

Charge Temp: 400 F

Here is an example: https://portal.roastpath.com/publicroasts/index/5741379544700170323

Note about the example, the notes include a more accurate reflection of the gas settings and not the lower graph.

I also find it difficult to sync the sensor temperatures for ET and BT. If I don't apply an override, the BT will be 100 F below the ET. Below are the override settings.

BT: 133%

ET: 93%

Incoming Air: 100%

Also, is there a way to update my warm up temp and the temp that is synced with the machine alarm. Current those settings are 435 for the top end of warmup and 350 for the alarm. I'd like to set the alarm to 400, my charge temp. Thanks for your help!

Link

Comments

Views
2023-03-22 15:59

Hi Richard,

These questions seem more applicable to the category RoastPATH Help so, I've moved your post there.

Traditionally, your ET should be above your BT, this would indicate that we have heat entering the drum to move your roast along. These are different thermocouples and will read different from one another.

Below is a roast from Bryant on a MCR-3 Digital, note the ET difference early in the roast and his use of airflow throughout the roast. It's possible your RoR is being calculated over 30 seconds instead of 60 seconds, meaning you would see your RoR at half of what you expected.

https://portal.roastpath.com/publicroasts/index/1920231525715240123

Your set value on the temperature controller can be adjusted, though I believe 435F is the high set limit on your machine. Adjusting higher than this would require a support call with Mill City Roasters.

Our Roasting 101 and Coffee of the Month video series are still up on YouTube, those series can be a very helpful resource for learning the roasting process on a manual Mill City Roaster.

Hope this was helpful.

Link

Thanks for your response and my apologies for not correctly categorizing the post. I'll take a look at the Bryant's graph and will note the settings.

Regarding the alarm temp, it's currently set at 350F, am I able to adjust that up to 400F, my charge temp? The 435F setting is fine since I put the gas on high for the first 20 minutes of my warmup routine. I just want to reset the temperate that is synced with the alarm.

I understand the temp difference between ET and BT, but should the difference be 100F degrees when the override settings are all set to 100%? Just seems like 100F is too much variance.

Link

Hi Richard,

Adjusting the alarm temperature is possible, though you would want an engineer to walk you through the process to avoid changing any other important settings accidentally. I'll send you the link to schedule a time with us in the email chain we have going.

A difference between ET and BT of 100 degrees is very normal, take a look at the profile that Karsten linked to see what a standard difference can look like.

Link

Thanks for your help, I got the link and will schedule a time. I'd like to establish a high-level agenda if the meeting lasts for an hour - I'd like to do a few R&D roasts with you guys.

Also, I was able to fix the temp difference. I removed the thermocouple and cleaned it up inside the casing and around the outside where there's built up residue. Works great now, and the RoR definitely rises now!

https://portal.roastpath.com/publicroasts/index/2565573113423270323

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More