Coffee Roasting     Any tips on Roasting Swiss water decaf (Mine's a Colombia)

2020-12-29 17:17

Any tips on Roasting Swiss water decaf (Mine's a Colombia)

I have a Swiss water processed Decaf Colombia here at Restoration Roasters.

I've been working on it a little bit on our 3kg MCR

Any tips on the way you would roast decaf differently in comparison to a regular green?

Curve differences?
Dry phase differences? unnamed or "Maillard" phase differences, etc.?

Link

Comments

Views
2020-12-30 05:25

Decaf is handled like any other roast, but you'll probably have a weak to nonexistent first crack and the color of the coffee may throw off your perception of green/yellow transition.

-so basically you're missing a couple of sensory clues.

It may help to think of decaf the same as any other large soft coffee. The decaffeination process breaks down the cellular structure of the seed, disrupts the endosperm, and often causes the seed to swell. It will release moisture and take heat very quickly. In many cases, the best cup will be achieved with a gentler application of heat: maybe a lower charge temp and low heat instead of a higher charge and "soak". Maybe look for seed shinkage and expansion as development cues more than green/yellow color change and first crack. Target your discharge temp at a specific time more than a development mid phase.

Then cup it out and adjust relative to the flavor profile.

We've been getting some terrific decaf coffees from Cafe Imports. Handled well, they're remarkably good and will probably change peoples minds of decaf as capital "S" Specialty Coffee.

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More