Coffee Roasting     Coffee & Chicory

2021-01-27 07:06

Coffee & Chicory

Has anyone had any experience with blending coffee with chicory? I am wanting to try my hand at blending the two but not sure where to start.

Link

Comments

Views
2021-01-27 09:49

Hey Jake,

I brewed chicory coffee for a guided tasting a few years ago just before the USCC was hosted in New Orleans. Down there, chicory coffee is quite common and you can buy pre-ground coffee + chicory, which is usually served as a Café Au Lait. When I made it, I just bought chicory and added it to a French Press at a ratio of about 80% coffee 20% chicory. I brewed it normally and topped with steamed milk. It's earthy and mild, definitely a distinct flavor but pairs nicely with coffee, you can tell why it was originally added to help "stretch" coffee during leaner times.

If you're thinking of adding it to coffee, you'll want to do it with pre-ground coffee since you don't want to put chicory through your (or your customers') grinder.

Let us know if you try some and how it turns out!
Lauren

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More