Coffee Roasting     coffee bean chaff

2020-12-28 09:03

coffee bean chaff

Hello Roast Path ,

I am facing an issue with my roasted coffee beans , after roast the coffee chaff stay on the beans .

Any idea how to over come this issue ? Do i have to extend the development time ?

Regards,

Link

Comments

Views
2020-12-28 21:43

I don’t do anything with it. Most the time it seams there’s very little of it left.

Link

Thank you Aj ,

Usually you roast Medium or Dark ? what is the duration of your usual development roast time ?

The problem is that couple of people complained about the chaff and why it is able on the coffee .

Do you think i should extend my roast time after first crack ?

https://portal.roastpath.com/publicroasts/index/3215377455514281220

Regards,

Link

Your roast profile seems within the range of light roasted coffee. Some coffees retain chaff more than others. Some light roasted African coffees often have chaff trapped in the seams.

If this is the case, it's kind of normal. You may minimize this slightly by extending the time of the roast to work more heat into the center of the seed to create swelling that releases the chaff in the seams. This is tricky because it can dramatically change the flavor profile of the coffee and chaff doesn't extract. What that means is you can actually grab a handful of chaff out of your chaff collector, run it through a grinder and cup it. It's essentially tasteless and more so when it is filtered out in brewed coffee.

This is to say, this is usually more of a cosmetic issues than a cupping issue UNLESS: you've got separated persistent chaff in your drum and cooling tray because your airflow or drum speed settings are too low.

In this case, you'll have created some version of roast defect that will detract from what the coffee could otherwise be.

So which is it? Chaff stuck on the seed in an otherwise successful roast profile? Chaff accumulating in the coffee and on the discharge chute during the roast? Or possibly and excessively vegetal and sharply acidic roast caused by underdevelopment of the interior of the seed?

To diagnose, we need to know what you are tasting and where your settings are. Maybe take some notes of your drum, fan and fuel settings throughout the roast and tell us what you're roasting? -and, of course, how it tastes.

Link

Thank you Steve for your reply ,

Considering the mentioned above roast profile the roast is a light roast and the taste is amazing as we cupped it few times .

When I drop the coffee in the cooling tray it has few chaff or even 0 % but after (24 -48 hours ) I discover more spots of coffee chaff in the coffee bag / container .

My previous roast notes :

• charge temps : 400F
  • 1 minute gas off ( fan 20% )
  • 2kpa from 2:00 to 5:00 ( fan 30%
  • 1kpa from 5:00 to end
  • outliers fan speed increased to 50% .

Note : my roast temps in not accurate there is 7% to 8% difference .

- My next Plan is to extend roast as you mentioned Steve and see how it go , also i will be posting the roast and results of the roasts.

Thanks ,

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More