Equipment & Workspaces     Density Determination Tools/Equipment

2022-03-15 23:30

Density Determination Tools/Equipment

Are there any budget-friendly tools or equipment used to determine coffee density?

There's the PVC free flow pipe method that is super budget-friendly, but I wonder if this complies with ISO 6669. Or maybe it's good enough.

In my mind, the free flow method doesn't actually provide the real density, as there is air between the beans - so the "measured" density using this method is much lower. I would think that replacing the air with a weighable liquid (water or oil perhaps) can get you a much more accurate read on bean density. I don't mean to get too technical here, but really just trying to understand the industry standard for density. Again, maybe this method is good enough to compare different coffees, green and/or roasted, in a relative sense.

Thanks!

Link

Comments

Views
2022-03-16 10:05

Hi again, Joe.

For most people, coffee density is not a critical metric.

Whether you know it or not, your sample roast progression will indicate relative density. A dense coffee will take longer to first crack because a) it usually contains marginally more water and b) because that density will resist expansion and requires greater internal seed pressure in the endosperm to crack.

One of the reasons denser coffee frequently tastes better is that that increased pressure drives a greater velocity of chemical change and releases a greater volume of flavorful compounds. Neat, right?

The problem is, this isn't exactly predictive. You can't tell anything about how density affects the flavor because a) you don't have anything to compare it to and b) you have to roast and cup the coffee anyway to establish a starting point for roast profile planning.

It's good to measure things. In engineering, if it matters you measure it. There are, however, a lot more things to measure than things that matter.

If you want to play around with density, get a graduated cylinder and measure the volume of 100 grams of coffee. Denser coffee will have a smaller volume. Track that single data point for 100 coffees and see if the accumulated info points you towards any roast profiling conclusions.

If you want to spend the money, we occasionally use and sell the Lightells MD500. It measures a larger sample size of coffee and provides moisture and density numbers. It looks cool too. 🙂

Link

Thanks Steve! I don't think I can justify the MD500 yet, since I already have a moisture meter. Based on your feedback and others, it seems that getting a ballpark relative density should be good enough for now. Will go with the graduated cylinder method.

Curious though - "denser coffee frequently tastes better is that that increased pressure drives a greater velocity of chemical change and releases a greater volume of flavorful compounds" is really interesting. I tend to agree, but is this strictly anecdotal or has research been done on this? I'd love to read any refs/links, if they are handy.

Thanks again!

Link

There's stuff out there, but it's simply a function of high grown coffee has a greater differential of temperature night to day and the seed develops slower and denser in response to the movement of sap through the shrub.

Not dissimilar from oak vs pine.

Aside from that there's the idea that the plant is under more environmental stress and channels more energy into creating viable seeds.

There are a lot of theories out there, but suffice to say that higher altitude coffees are generally prized much more for their flavor characteristics than low grown coffees.

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More