RoastPATH® Help     Is it possible to match roaster temperature with roastpath through a whole roast?

2021-03-06 18:50

Is it possible to match roaster temperature with roastpath through a whole roast?

Howzit!

I finally got Roastpath setup for my roaster and have been enjoying being able to datalog while roasting. I do have trouble trying to match the temp on my roaster with RoastPath. If I do a Bt sensor override of 110%, my temp is matched at the beginning of the roast. However as the roast progress, my temp of my roaster runs faster than roastpath. By the end of the roast, the temp difference is over 50degrees. If i set my BT sensor override to 140%, im 100degree higher on roastpath at the beginning of the roast but match at the end of the roast at 440. Im starting to think maybe its not even possible to completely match the temp on the roast. Any advice or suggestions?

Link

Comments

Views
2021-03-25 14:37

Hey there. Short answer, No. This is because you are talking about two independent thermocouples that are placed in different parts of the drum. The digital temp read out on your roaster is reading from the thermocouple that is placed in the center/left of the drum. While the bean temp reading on RoastPath or any profile software you connect to is going to be pulling from the thermocouple in the drum door, fully immersed in your bean mass. These two areas of the drum, even without beans in the drum, are going to be at very different temps. The bean probe that reads out on the side of your roaster is really there to provide a safety function (i.e., shut off the gas solenoid if it reaches a critical temperature). Since it's not fully submersed in your bean mass, like the one in your drum door, it's not the most precise one to roast with. Well it's not that it's not precise, it's as precise as it is accurate, but it's just going to have a much shallower temp curve then the tc stuck in your bean mass. Hope that helps to clarify.

Link

Thanks, Ian.

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More