Coffee Roasting     Moisture in 1k Chaff Collector

2022-01-28 11:26

Moisture in 1k Chaff Collector

I have recently moved my 1K into a much larger space. I am using the Mill City Vent Kit and then connected from there up through the ceiling. I am not sure why but now I am experience a lot of moisture in the collector. Mostly concentrated in the top section of the collector. I know the room is much cooler than where I used to have it, and it is winter, but not sure if there is something more going on. I will attached a picture in the next post.

Link

Comments

Views
2022-01-28 11:27

I know it needs to be clean, this was in between roast that I noticed a lot of moisture.

Link

Hi Jake - I'm betting you have condensation in your stack and it's running/dripping down into your chaff collector. We mitigate this on installs by using double wall venting above the kit and maybe going one step further and choosing insulated double wall in certain environments.

It's mostly harmless - some would even say welcome as it keeps the chaff in the bottom of your chaff collector moist. But it can be messy. If you want to mitigate it, warm up your room or add high temp insulation to the outside of the pipe so that pipe surface can't get so cold. Or wait for Spring.

Link

Thanks for the reply Angie. I totally did skimp on the double wall, it is crazy expensive at the one place that sells it in our area. In due time I might go back and replace starting at the top. Thanks for the tips!

Link

Hi Jake,

I was having the same problem with double wall. every time your shop heater kicks in it is looking for fresh air to use, so it pulls air down you roaster venting. Bring cool air into your vent and creating moisture. I found that closing off the vent when not roasting solved this problem. I also put a note on the roaster to insure that I remove the vent block before starting roaster. I hope this helps

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More