RoastPATH® Help     Momentary Sensor Dropout Spikes

2020-10-28 10:37

Momentary Sensor Dropout Spikes

Throughout every roast, we experience sensor dropout which leaves downward "spikes" throughout our profile.

I've spoken to Nick about this and he asked us to try increasing our Read Frequency and even after setting it as high as 8 seconds, we're still seeing these spikes. More often than not, the system fails to capture the turn automatically and even more frustrating, it just makes a mess out of the screen.

My understanding is that this is something that they are aware but I've heard that others may have found a fix for this. I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this and if you've been able to find a decent workaround for it.

The machine is a new Mill City 2k.

Link

Comments

Views
2020-10-28 11:07

Do you know what version of RoastPATH you are on?

Link

Hi Toasted Roaster - You may need to update your app. To see the version you currently have installed, view the 'About' section under the main menu in the app (upper left corner).

Link

Thanks Angie... I'll check the version tomorrow morning when I'm back in the shop again

Link

Hi Angie

Version of the app was 1.0.89.0. I just updated and we're now at version 1.0.92.0. I have a bunch of roasts to do this morning so I'll see how it goes and keep you posted.

Thanks!
-Scott

Link

Okay, with the app updated this morning, we're still seeing the dropouts. I even went in and deleted the roaster configuration and recreated it and bounced RoastPATH a few times. I'm a few roasts in and we're still seeing the issue. Our read frequency is currently set to 3 seconds.

Pic from a roast completed just a minute ago...

Thanks!

Link

Any other possible suggestions?

Link

Hi Toasted Roasters,

I'm currently focusing on making this better. I've made changes to retroactively fix this by ignoring these drop outs as bad data on roast review. I will also be updating the way the app communicates with Modbus. Hopefully we will have this sorted out and published soon!

Link

I have the same issues. What I did as a bandaid was hooked up a phidget that I used with my sample roaster.

Link

Hey guys, thank you so much for your patience with this issue. I've just updated the web portal to ignore these dropouts on roast review. You should now be able to look at your previous roasts on the website and see a clear chart. We will be testing the fix in the app next week and will get it out as soon as possible.

Link

Cole // RoastPATH said:

Hey guys, thank you so much for your patience with this issue. I've just updated the web portal to ignore these dropouts on roast review. You should now be able to look at your previous roasts on the website and see a clear chart. We will be testing the fix in the app next week and will get it out as soon as possible.

Hey Cole,

Curious if there are any additional updates on this. Sounds like you guys are getting close to a fix, which would be great! :)

Link

This issue has been fixed and will go live with the next update. The update will also include the ability to turn on/off the automatic detect of drop that some users are seeing due to the drop-outs in communication. We hope to publish before the end of this week. If you have further questions, let me know. Thanks again for your patience on this issue.

Link

Our last few roast days have been great. The issue seems to be gone now. Great job folks! :D

I am curious though if the problem has been corrected or if the symptom has just been hidden. One issue with the spikes was that if they occurred near the turn, the turn would not be captured. If they occurred any time after first crack, they would cause RP to click the drop button.

Although the spikes are no longer seen on the screen during the roast, we are still seeing issues with the turn not being captured so I'm wondering if the issue with the modbus were corrected or if the dropouts are still occurring but simply no longer being displayed on screen.

Side note... our 500gr machine with the phidget is working perfectly with RP.

Link

Hi Toasted Roasters,

Check your settings. There is a new option to turn on/off the automatic roast events. It is possible/likely these are defaulted to "off" with the update from the old version to the new version. Let us know if that was the issue.

Link

Nice! The auto-turn option was indeed unchecked.

Thanks!

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More