Coffee Roasting     Natual Yirg, late crack

2024-03-04 03:24

Natual Yirg, late crack

Hello Everyone, roasting a new natural yirg on my MCR-1. Trying to get this coffee dialed in and I have limited experience with roasting natural coffees. I roasted this coffee 5 times now and this most recent roast I increased the maillard phase by 2 minutes compared to my last profile. From what I understand, spending more time in the maillard phase for naturals brings out more fruity notes and develops the sugars on the outside of the bean. The issue I am having with this current profile is I seem to be hitting FC really late (BT at 403-406F) and I end up getting no development at the end of the roast in fear of getting it too dark. Although cupping the coffee today, it would serve well to develop it more, very little body in this cup of coffee, tastes very light. I see two options at this point, I can either continue to run the roast further into development or can hit this roast with more heat during the Maillard phase to help it crack earlier on.

Compared to washed coffees I have roasted, where they are roasted hotter and faster and 406F is a decent medium roast level, has anyone ran into this same dilemma? Where stretching out the maillard phase causes for a late FC and a need for a higher final BT on naturals as compared to roasting a washed coffee hot and fast.

Have a look at my profile, I welcome any and all input to roasting natural coffees. Thank you!

Link

Comments

Views
2024-03-04 03:34
Link

check my profile I have MCR-10 but you can inspired by this profile it is Yirg Adado

https://portal.roastpath.com/publicroasts/index/583914354918020324

Link

What's the harvest year? (Older coffee can often have a protracted development due to reduced water)

I'd consider reducing the maillard/mid/roast phase in favor of more time in development. Reduce your initial air change at G/Y by a little to allow more heat to build and accelerate, then add a fan increase closer to or at 1C.

Link

Thanks @theroastery ! I worked on the profile this weekend, and have yet to cup it. But the profile looks more promising. I gave the beans more gas upfront and did shorten the maillard phase by two minutes. Got a decent crack and development time.

Here is the most recent profile.

https://portal.roastpath.com/publicroasts/index/6473327105916100324

Link

Hello,

I'm on a 3k Mill City roaster and I did quite a bit of research before my first run at a Yirgacheffe. Bryant helped me a lot. I roasted a 2k batch in the 3k roaster. Here is the profile I did and it came out absolutely amazing multiple times.

https://portal.roastpath.com/roasts/review/6438826223301180224

Everything I read said it was best to get a ton of energy into the bean first, then slow it down dramatically for the rest of the roast. This worked for me.

I've been able to duplicate it 3 times now. I think the key is to set the gas a little lower than the high setting. For me my highest setting is 1.2 and I went with 1.0. Then set the default DT really high, so you can get the drum temperature super high (465) for the soak (my DT for the soak was 456 with a bean temp of 418).

During the soak (before you kick the gas back on) reset the default drum temperature back down to default (mine is 425). Other than the profile settings that you can see, I brought the fan up from 15 to 20 at G/Y and the gas down from 1.0 to 0.8. Then about a minute to a minute and a half after G/Y, I dropped the gas again by half to 0.4. Then at first crack or a little before, I dropped the gas again to 0.2 and cranked the fan up to 25. I dropped around 404.

I hope this works for you. I think I got really lucky and I credit Bryant of course, but it really did come out great and it's easily repeatable within 0.10 of a degree.

On a side note this is my very first post, so I hope I pasted that profile right. If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll try again.

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More