2022-02-19 17:08

Roasting 50 gm on 2Kg

HI do you think if I can roast 50 g or 100g in the 2 kg mill city digital

thanks

Link

Comments

Views
2022-03-24 20:06

Potentially - I had a similar question for my 3kg. How small can I go? Reason being is that I would prefer to do R&D on the smallest scale possible (most cost effective), then scale up for production once a profile is identified. Of course, you would need to figure out how to transfer conditions/profiles from one scale to the other. Assuming it can be done, I think it's a worthwhile endeavor.

That said, I know I can roast on 200 g with reliable measurement of the bean temperature. Needed some bending and repositioning of the probe. I think the challenge is having so much thermal energy in the system that it's hard to identify conditions at 200 g to transfer to a 3 kg batch. I've been working on a slightly larger scale of 400 g, which seems to be a bit more doable.

Regarding the probe placement, I ran a handful of experiments with a transparent face plate that helped to visualize where the bean mass is at various scales and drum speeds. I posed these on youtube, if you wanted to check them out and think it will be helpful. I suspect probe place on my 3 kg will be similar to your 2 kg.

Good luck and happy roasting!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO9UQGe-NQL2fHFxWftaW8Q/featured

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More