Equipment & Workspaces     Storing Green Coffee

2022-05-22 21:15

Storing Green Coffee

I have recently ordered some coffee that did not come in a grain pro bag. Currently, most of my coffee is in grain pro bags and then I put that coffee in Sterilite containers with a gasket seal. These containers are not large enough to hold 140lbs of coffee. I have seen people store their green coffee in larger food-grade trash cans. Is that the best practice? And if so does it take a 55gal trash can or smaller to hold a bag of coffee.

Link

Comments

Views
2022-05-23 06:02

Hi Jake.

Green coffee weight vs volume is about 35lbs to a 5 gallon bucket. That would imply that something larger than a 20 gallon container will hold the entirety of your non-Grainpro protected coffee.

GrainPro (if I recall correctly) is a oxygen permeable moisture barrier that prevents your green from drying. This greatly preserves the relative freshness of the green coffee while it is being transported and stored.

Something like a NSF Rubbermaid tote can be useful. We usually drop the entire bag in one.

You can also re-use Grainpro bags and it's a good idea to keep a couple squirreled away for exactly the reason you describe. We usually have a huge stack of them next to a huge stack of burlap bags because we still love coffee enough to think they're pretty neat and, similar to things like shoe and cellular phone boxes, it seems wasteful somehow to bin them directly.

TMI: That means they kind of need to accumulate to a critical pain in the a-- volume before the emotion of "it's still good" is overcome by the frustration of tripping over them every time you have to squeeze into their storage area.

But maybe that's just me. 😊

So NSF Rubbermaid tote or Brute "trash can" and/or re-bag into recycled Grainpro. Or just use the coffee quick enough that it doesn't matter.

One last thing: one big reason to re-use Grainpro is to protect your other greens from insects. If your non-Grainpro greens are carrying bugs, they can easily spread to your entire inventory. This can be a big problem for direct import coffees. This isn't a daily occurrence, but I've seen it a couple of times and it's a huge bummer.

If you see moths in your coffee, get it out of the building asap and consider freezing your coffee to kill the insects.

I don't want to freak anyone out. It's relatively rare. I just want you to be aware that this is a risk you need to be aware of and manage.

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More