Equipment & Workspaces     Storing large quantities of roasted coffee before bagging.

2023-01-17 14:34

Storing large quantities of roasted coffee before bagging.

General question about storing roasted coffee. Are there any suggestions about storing roasted coffee before bagging it, or should it be bagged right away? Some of the roasted beans will be sold by the bag while others will be used directly in the shop for brewing. I know it needs to let off gases, so any suggestions of storage are appreciated.

Thank you

Link

Comments

Views
2023-01-18 12:53

Good question.

I have seen well known roasteries bag within an hour off of roast, and other roasteries bagging the following morning. Ideally, within 24 hours is a good rule of thumb. Just make sure to keep your coffee covered or sealed in a cambro or pail until you decide to bag.

Lighter roasted coffees will have less bloating in the bag as the gasses move out slower. Bagging a darker roasted coffee right away can off gas and bloat the bag pretty quickly depending on the type of bag and if you're rolling the bag down. A rolled 5-lb or 12oz bag will force the co2 out of the one way valve, but a stand up resealable pouches will continue to bloat overnight and you may need to squeeze that gas out.

At a cafe level folks work out of the bulk bag the coffee came in and binder clip it shut. Others will weigh out the proper doses into tins for pour overs or batch brew for workflow. Whatever home the cafe coffee ends up in, we try to use it within 14 days off roast.

Hope this helps!

Link

We store all of our coffee in Brute cans. They come in various sizes, so we use smaller ones for coffees we might roast only a 34lb batch of a day and bigger cans for the ones we're moving through each day. We store for probably no longer than 24 hours, most of the time we are bagging straight out of the cooling tray nearly.

We also have a program where we degas our 5lb bags for wholesale customers for 3-5 days, so a lot is stored in bags until it's ready to ship/deliver. What's nice about that is the degassing through the valve displaces the oxygen in the bag so theoretically is keeping the coffee more fresh.

Every roastery I've been in (only a handful) have used Brute cans. I was in one the other day that used probably close to 100 Brute cans! They'd store their green in them for the day's production, then dump the roasted coffee in cans post-roast, and pull straight from the cans with a vacuum loader for bag filling.

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More