Coffee Roasting     Temperature Offsets

2020-05-15 22:10

Temperature Offsets

Hey everyone,

Are you using temperature offsets on your roasts either in RoastPATH or Artisan? If so, what are you aiming to calibrate it towards? Are you shooting for first crack to be around that 392 range? My 500g typically shows first crack in the 350's. So I've set it off by +35 to get it in the 390 range when using artisan. No particular reason I've done this other than it seems to get me to a closer language as other roasters. I'm curious to know if you do something different or if there are any "best practices" before I go about my roasts on RoastPATH.

Thanks!

Cody

Link

Comments

Views
2020-05-16 16:23

Hi Cody.

Temp offsets are entirely up to you. There's a lot of hoopla about thermocouple "accuracy" and/or thickness and/or speed that doesn't really do much to get people better coffee. Your thermocouple merely needs to be repeatable enough to be predictable. That means, if you expect first crack at 360F and you're at 20 minutes rate of rise, you're probably going to see first crack in about a minute. Like, duh.

I see we don't have emojis yet, so please imagine a smiley face after the "duh."

To answer your question, if I was setting a machine up for myself, I'd probably shoot for first crack around 385-390F. If I was at 360, I'd probably do a percentage offset function of about 8-8.5%.

You can do that by clicking the three dots to the right of your roaster ID, then clicking "View Roaster Config", then clicking on "Sensor Overrides", and finally entering a percentage of offset on your BT probe.

Easy peasy. (Imagine smiley emoji here too)

Link

Hi Steve,

this was very helpful for me. I almost got my temps to where I want them to be. for me I feel 9.5% BT would be perfect. But seems there is no fractional increments, so can only go from 9-10% any chance to have that added?

Link

AK, that's a reasonable request I'll add it to our list.

Cole

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More