Coffee Roasting     Too much energy going into FC?

2023-12-31 10:29

Too much energy going into FC?

Hey There! New to roasting on my MCR-1. This was some Yirgacheffe that actually ended up tasting good IMO. I know we want a relatively smooth declining ROR. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you see some twin peak action like this? Too much energy going into FC?

Link

Comments

Views
2024-01-01 04:34

Try reducing gas around 6:00 or 6:30 and reduce fan speed about 30-45 seconds later.

That might smooth things out a bit.

Your batch size, drum speed and charge temp all contribute to whether or not this works. Give it a shot and cup each roast blind to understand how these changes affect the cup.

Link

@sgreen Thanks! On the above roast, I decreased fuel right at 6 minutes. I also increased air flow which is probably why I saw the acceleration right below the dip. I think I have some good ideas to try and smooth it now. Thank you for the input!

Link

Curious how it's going with this challenge. My ROR curves look very similar, and I have yet to figure out how to calm things down leading into FC with my MCR 3kg.

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More