RoastPATH® Help     Persistent Dropouts on 1KG with Fotek Modbus

2023-10-16 19:01

Persistent Dropouts on 1KG with Fotek Modbus

Hey RoastPATH Community! I've been experiencing dropouts every few seconds. Happens on both BT and ET. Usually both at the same time, occasionally one or the other. Always get an error message. Says either no connection or the data requests are too frequent. Also getting spikes and dips on both always at the same time.

I don't know if it's my panel or my app. Any experiences or suggestions would be awesome!

Link

Comments

Views
2023-10-30 15:33

I am too running into the same problem - I provided some details to support. What computer are you using and OS? I am using Mac (fully updated). With a usbc female adapter for the usb cable provided by the machine

Link

Thanks for your continued reporting of this issue. We can confirm this issue is isolated to manual control panel machines equipped with manual Modbus connection.

Models affected: MCR500, MCR-1, MCR-3 with manual control, and older pre-2018 models with a manual Modbus connection.

Models NOT affected: MCR-2D, MCR-2E, MCR-3D, MCR-6, MCR-10, MCR-15, MCR-20, MCR-30, MC-60 (less than 5 years old) and older models with a Phidget connection.

We'll be actively working on this issue over the next few weeks. The current expectation is that we'll have a new release by the end of the year that should improve or eliminate these issues. Thanks for your patience and continued reporting of these issues. If you are experiencing drop-outs on one of the models noted above as NOT being affected, contact support@roastpath.com.

Link

Sweet - thanks @angie for the update! Looking forward to it!

Link

I had this issue a few years ago on my 3k. I fixed it by switching to a phidget. I have a manual machine. Never had an issue since. My roaster buddy had the same issue for over a year and once he switched to a phidget he never had another issue. I don't think its a software issue but some sort of interference in the roaster board. Possibly related to heat or grounding and maybe the digital roasters have different hardware that doesn't carry the same issues.

Link

Hey @angie

Is there anymore on this update?

I have the same issues with our Mcr 3 from 2020

Link

Our next release is in final testing, should be launched this week or next based on our findings in testing.

Next release unifies a few connection details that could have previously been configured in such a way as to cause connection instability.

Basically, we've made it easier to configure your connection and have found that this should solve a majority of the reported issues.

Stay tuned.

Link

@justcrackedcoffee I'm on Windows. USB to USB. Had been running great until about a year ago. Had an 8 month pause while I relocated and just getting back up and running.

Link

@millcityroasters @angie Awesome! Can't wait to see if this solves the issue. Thanks!

Link

We've got a preview release candidate that should help with the dropouts.

https://roastpathstorage.blob.core.windows.net/releasedownloads/rc_win_1.7.2212.0_RoastPATH.zip

Best practice is to uninstall RoastPATH and reinstall the download.

Be aware that if you manually update, you'll lose automatic Windows Store updates. Once the Store is officially updated with 1.7.2212.0, uninstall the preview and install again through the Windows Store.

This version includes a super dope underlay shift function too.

Merry Christmas.

Link

In order to improve the modbus issue you need to increase the readings frequency in the display settings view. I recommend using a value of 1.2-3.

Link

I'm continually having this same issue with my MCR1500 digital. I lose BT, IT, and or ET continuously as I'm roasting. It's gotten worse with this latest release.

Link

Still huge issues with the connection. Is there any update that will solve this?

Link

We've made significant improvements over the last few months, many of which have corrected errors causing dropped data. The version being internally tested right now further reinforces the communication between computer and roaster. I'll check in with the team tomorrow during our development meeting to find out when that new version will be released.

Link

Steve I was wondering if perhaps the Dtech usb to RS422 behind the control panel is overheating and causing the drop outs. Might be something to experiment with.

Link

Good thought, would take quite a bit of heat to disrupt that chipset though.

We've made a few further advancements that are currently in testing and should be released in the next version.

Link

Announcement

Do you have: Curiosity about Roast Replay?Questions about using RoastPATH?Suggestions for features or improvements to the user experience? Come join us for the inaugural RoastPATH Training Webinar! H...

Read More